Chili peppers were one of the first domesticated plants, farmed 6,000 years ago in Peru and Mexico. Since then, this spicy crop has found its way into many popular dishes, from Japanese ramens and Mexican burritos, to condiments like hot sauce. Yet, much less is shared about the environmental impact, and especially the carbon emissions of chili peppers. So we had to ask: What is the carbon footprint of chili peppers?
Known as the ‘King of Vegetables’ in India, or the ‘crazy apple’ in Renaissance Italy, the eggplant can be found in food from around the world. From moussaka, to ratatouille, to brinjal bhaji, this vegetable is nutrient-dense, and high in antioxidants. Yet, much less is shared about the environmental impact, and especially the carbon emissions of eggplants. So we had to ask: What is the carbon footprint of eggplants?
Apricots are a booming American industry, with more than 40,000 tons produced each year. They also happen to be a delicious treat, popular in jams or as a dried fruit. However, there can be a significant amount of unethical and unsustainable qualities to the production of apricots. So we had to ask: Is eating apricots ethical and sustainable?
Kiwis are a delicious tropical fruit. In popular culture, they are most associated with the nation of New Zealand and their birds of the same name. They are a lucrative industry too, with the global kiwi market worth almost $7 billion as of 2019. Moreover, they pack in a significant amount of fiber and vitamin C. But there can also be some significantly unsustainable and unethical aspects of kiwi production. So we had to ask: Is eating kiwis ethical and sustainable?
Bananas are a very popular fruit, with over 100 billion consumed every year, especially considering their wide culinary uses, from banana bread to milkshakes. They also have some notable health benefits. They’re high in fiber, protein, and potassium. However, there can also be some extremely unethical and unsustainable components to banana production. So we had to ask: Is eating bananas ethical and sustainable?
Strawberries are a tasty and versatile summer treat, featured in everything from jams and smoothies to the iconic strawberry shortcake. They are popular too, with the average American consuming around 8 lbs of strawberries every year. In terms of their health benefits, strawberries contain more vitamin C than oranges and significant protein and fiber. However, there can also be many ethics and sustainability issues in the strawberry industry. So we had to ask: Is eating strawberries ethical and sustainable?
Grapes are a delicious and versatile fruit, with 30% being consumed directly, and the other 70% used to make wine. Originating as a crop around 8,000 years ago, grapes have a long agricultural history. However, there can also be some very unethical and unsustainable components to the grape industry. So we had to ask: Is eating grapes ethical and sustainable?
Cantaloupe is a popular fruit in the US, with over 1 billion pounds produced each year. They’re also a source of many major nutrients, such as potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin A. However, cantaloupes can also have some seriously unethical and unsustainable components to their production. So, we had to ask: Is eating cantaloupes ethical and sustainable?
In an average year, over 25,000 tons of pears are consumed globally, making them an immensely popular fruit. They can be used in anything from elegant French pastries (Tarte Bourdaloue, anyone?) to delicious juices. But there are also many practices that can be unethical or unsustainable about the pear industry. So we had to ask: Is eating pears ethical and sustainable?
Cherries are a staple fruit in everything from pies to mixed drinks. Moreover, their blossoms draw millions of crowds to public parks every spring, especially in Japan. They’re healthy too—a cup of cherries provides 3 grams of fiber and 1.4 grams of protein. But there are also many unethical and unsustainable qualities to cherries. So we had to ask: Is eating cherries ethical and sustainable?